Re: devd/devctl

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 16:49:27 -0600 (MDT)
In message: <20030913144105.K85817_at_12-234-22-23.pyvrag.nggov.pbz>
            Doug Barton <DougB_at_freebsd.org> writes:
: On Sat, 13 Sep 2003, M. Warner Losh wrote:
:
: > In message: <20030913142107.V85817_at_12-234-22-23.pyvrag.nggov.pbz>
: >             Doug Barton <DougB_at_freebsd.org> writes:
: > : That functionality is being ported back to the vendor, if it hasn't been
: > : already. If we want really cool whizbang features that are more specific
: > : to us, we _should_ be looking at stuff like devd. The trick is definig
: > : which problem space we're addressing at any given moment. :)
: >
: > You can't do it in devd.  You must be able to either (a) tell a
: > running dhclient about arrival/departures of interfaces
:
: Ok, maybe I misunderstand, but wouldn't _this_ be the right thing for
: devd to do? In other words, devd should be able to notice this, and
: devd.conf should be able to define what I want to do with this like
: sending a signal to dhclient. Then we can move to the dhclient problem
: space, and define behavior in dhclient that says "when X happens, I need
: to do Y."

You misundestand.  devd *CANNOT* do this.  I have a laptop that has a
builtin rl0 interface.  I plug in a wi0 interface.  somehow we gotta
deal.

and you cannot tell dhclient that interfaces have arrived.

: > or (b) run multiple dhclients.
:
: This is evil, and basically undoable with the current state of things,
: but it might be possible down the road, although I still think it's evil
: for other reasons.

why is this evil?  dhclient can and does run on mulitple interfaces.
it fails now because it specifically precludes it, but for no other
good reasons.

Warner