Re: Bad performance

From: Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 08:40:17 +1000
On Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 02:52:29PM +0200, sebastian ssmoller wrote:
>then i moved the disk from the hardware used during install into the
>"production" environment which includes VIA 82C8363 (Apollo KT133A)
>everything worked fine again. BUT: launching gdm needs a lot of time,
>same for gnome2. when i start moz-firebird i am unabled to use it for
>minutes (!) until it reacts on user events (typing inet adress into
>address bar), same for gaim.

I agree with the general concensus that this shows all the symptoms of
a network or DNS problem - though the switch from SIS to nVidia may
have disturbed X.

Did you change any system configuration (hostname etc) when you moved
the disk?  Is the 'production' environment identical network-wise to
your test environment?  Have you re-configured X to use the different
video card?

How are you starting gdm, gnome2 etc?  I gather gdm isn't started
via /etc/ttys but manually from a vty.  I presume you are using gdm
to start X.

Can you log in from a second system?  If so, what is happening during
the startup delay?  Does top show the system is very heavily loaded or
doing nothing (all processes waiting)?

Before you start gdm, can you ping your system by hostname?  Are there
any other hostname mentioned in your gdm configuration file?  Can you
ping them all?

Have you checked your /etc/nsswitch.conf and /etc/resolv.conf?  Is the
output from 'ifconfig -a' and 'netstat -r' correct?

Have a look through all the files in /var/log that have been updated
recently and check for errors - especially XFree86.0.log, daemon and
messages.  Have a look in the gdm log file (I'm not sure where this
is by default).  Are there any messages on either the console or
vty from which you started gdm?  (Use Ctrl-Alt-Fn to get from X to
vtyn and then Alt-Fn to switch between vtys.  You can use ScrollLock
and PgUp/PgDn/Up/Down to scroll back.  Press ScrollLock again to
get back to normal).

Is any part of your system NFS-mounted?  Is X using a fontserver?
Are all these servers responding?

Are you running a GENERIC or custom kernel?  Do you have any firewall
functions enabled?

Peter