Re: fsck failed after hard crash

From: Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 08:30:51 -0700
On Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 11:42:21AM +0200, Sebastian Ssmoller wrote:
> i did cvsup for /usr/src yesterday and did a build world.
> i also build a new kernel without all these debugging things.

If you're running FreeBSD-current, I would suggest that
you put the debugging options back into your kernel.

> i rebooted the system and everything went fine first but then
> i tried to recompile pf_freebsd and the system crashed.

Without debugging or even a panic message, it is fairly
difficult to make any useful suggestions.

> i rebooted and did fsck and tried the rebuild again - same thing :(

Panic message?

> reboot again, fsck with many errors (some sectors could not be written,
> inconsistancy soft updates).
> i managed to start gnome2 agian. i started vmware and ... crash agin :'(

Are you sure you don't want to run FreeBSD 4.8?

> so i thought of using the old kernel again but when i restart and
> run fsck it is NOT able to mark /usr as clean  !! :(
>
> what can i do now ? any ideas ?

When fsck fails to clean /usr are there any error messages?
What fsck command did you issue to clean up /usr?  Did you
try using an alternate super block?

What compiler flags did you use to build the kernel?

--
Steve