Re: fsck failed after hard crash

From: Sebastian Ssmoller <sebastian.ssmoller_at_gmx.net>
Date: 14 Sep 2003 18:23:16 +0200
Am Son, 2003-09-14 um 17.30 schrieb Steve Kargl:
> On Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 11:42:21AM +0200, Sebastian Ssmoller wrote:
> > i did cvsup for /usr/src yesterday and did a build world.
> > i also build a new kernel without all these debugging things.
>
> If you're running FreeBSD-current, I would suggest that
> you put the debugging options back into your kernel.

sorry to forget to post these info's: i am running
freebsd-current. started with 5.1 release and updated yesterday.
i removed the debugging stuff from the kernel cause i wanted to
check the possible performance difference.

> > i rebooted the system and everything went fine first but then
> > i tried to recompile pf_freebsd and the system crashed.
>
> Without debugging or even a panic message, it is fairly
> difficult to make any useful suggestions

i agree but this would be difficult when being unable to reboot the
system :)
.

> > i rebooted and did fsck and tried the rebuild again - same thing :(
>
> Panic message?

no message :( first time it froze , second time it rebooted.

> > reboot again, fsck with many errors (some sectors could not be written,
> > inconsistancy soft updates).
> > i managed to start gnome2 agian. i started vmware and ... crash agin :'(
>
> Are you sure you don't want to run FreeBSD 4.8?

good question :)

> > so i thought of using the old kernel again but when i restart and
> > run fsck it is NOT able to mark /usr as clean  !! :(
> >
> > what can i do now ? any ideas ?
>
> When fsck fails to clean /usr are there any error messages?
> What fsck command did you issue to clean up /usr?  Did you
> try using an alternate super block?

i ran: fsck -y /usr and it complains several times (!) about "unexpected
soft-update inconsistency" and "unable to write block" :(

i have not tried an alternate super block yet - i was not sure whether
this could help, could it ?

> What compiler flags did you use to build the kernel?

i used default settings

finally i found out that i can mount /usr readonly so a backup could be
possible (?); creating new ufs2 and restore backup could be a possible
solution (?)

thx
seb