Re: mystery kernel spew

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 19:13:09 -0700 (PDT)
On Sun, 14 Sep 2003, masta wrote:

> I owe you a beer Doug (or a soda-pop)! ;)

hehe :)

> You were correct about the sysctl.conf being the root-cause of the kernel
> spew.

Mike Smith ran into it one day and we spent some time debugging it.
Someone made the observation that they were sysctl items and not function
calls and that tipped us off.

'sysctl sysctl' is a magic incantation to dump the sysctl tree. There's a
couple of other magic words.

> #security.bsd.see_other_uids=0
> sysctl net.inet.tcp.blackhole=1
> sysctl net.inet.udp.blackhole=1

Heh, you even had an example :)

Incidentally, if you are getting wrapping even without this, you can use a
serial console to capture the output.  I've had to do this for doing nasty
ACPI debugging with lots of the options enabled.