Re: fsck failed after hard crash

From: Sebastian Ssmoller <sebastian.ssmoller_at_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:43:01 +0000
(...)

> >> unexpected soft-update inconsistency, unable to write block, etc.
> >>
> >> going back to my 9/9/2003 "good" kernel, it works.
> >
> > i tried to use my old kernel; build with sources from fbsd 5.1 release).
> > i rebooted the system and started fsck -y /usr again but the same
> > problems occur :(
> >
> > now there are two possibilities i guess:
> > - something in userland is broken too
> > - my ufs2 is really dead
> I'm using ufs1, FWIW, and my userland is from  september 9 as well.
> So, either 5.1R is too far back or you are in trouble.
>
> FWIW.

so here i go again :) - partly at least ...

i booted the live CD and was able to fix my ufs2 fs (still some errors reported but marked as clean).
then i re-installed the sources from fbsd 5.1 release cd, built a new kernel and did a "make world"  - everything seems to be ok now :)

so there seems to be something broken in sources from 13.9.2003 ?

seb

(...)