Re: panic: absolutely cannot call smp_ipi_shootdown with interrupts already disabled

From: Morten Rodal <morten_at_rodal.no>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 08:29:42 +0200
On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 08:54:59AM +0200, Morten Rodal wrote:
> A little bit of history first.  I am having great trouble in running
> any of the Mozilla web browsers under -CURRENT with libkse.  (If you
> are really interested see the thread on threads_at_)
>
> When I ran Mozilla Firebird with the --debug (which lets you run
> Mozilla Firebird from within gdb) the machine paniced.  The backtrace
> is rather long and I am not sure if the subject of this email is the
> real panic either.  This computer is/was (I am currently rebuilding
> the kernel to todays sources) running:
>
> FreeBSD slurp.rodal.no 5.1-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT #1: Fri Aug 22 18:06:03 CEST 2003     root_at_slurp.rodal.no:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/slurp i386
>
> More details are available upon request.

Since the last panic I upgraded to

FreeBSD slurp.rodal.no 5.1-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT #2: Fri Sep 12 08:59:58 CEST 2003     root_at_slurp.rodal.no:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/slurp i386

(both world and kernel).  I am still able to reproduce this, and it is
fairly simple.  On a smp machine (haven't tried my laptop, and I got
more important stuff there that I dont want to lose in a panic) do the
following:

 1) Install the mozilla-firebird port
 2) Edit libmap.conf so that it uses libkse
 3) Start it by running "firebird --debug", this will present you with
    a gdb prompt.  Type run here and watch your computer panic.  (It
    takes a little while)

So this brings up the question, is there a known problem with
debugging multi-threaded applications (which use libkse) that can
cause a panic?  I will bring home my laptop, and will be able to use a
serial debugger if that would help anyone willing to trace this down.

--
Morten Rodal