Re: ATAng hangs with kernel from september 15

From: Soren Schmidt <sos_at_spider.deepcore.dk>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 11:38:45 +0200 (CEST)
It seems Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Soren Schmidt <sos_at_spider.deepcore.dk> writes:
> > Well, the ATA driver has just grown more standard compliant :)
> > You *must* hang around for 31secs to wait for slow devices to come ready,
> > according to the ATA specs. Now I've gone to great length before to
> > get around this by using clever heuristics, and I'm getting there again,
> > but there are *so* many crappy devices out there that it takes time
> > to accomodate them all.
>
> Is there any way you can postpone the device initialization so you can
> do them in paralell?

That wont help anything here, this is pre device init stuff..

> Or make the length of the wait configurable, like SCSI_DELAY?

That would be a gross hack, the spec says to wait 31 secs and thats it,
if you want to wait shorter go ahead and change your local sources, but we
need to find a real solution (and I will get there, I just need enough
datapoints to find the right solution)...

-Søren