Re: Compiler Woes (was: Re: RAM Recommendations for a VIA Mainboard?)

From: Scott Reese <sreese_at_codysbooks.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 16:36:23 -0700
On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 14:37, Steve Kargl wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 01:21:39PM -0700, Scott Reese wrote:

> > > An "internal compiler error" (ICE for short) can also be a compiler bug
> > > if it happens in the same place consistently. I recall other "ICE"
> > > Subject lines, but ignored the corresponding posts; the list archives
> > > may help you.
> >
> > Heh.  Most of those messages were probably from me desperately seeking
> > assistance of any kind (quick check confirms this).  :)
>
> Most of those older posts were concerned with people who
> added -march=p4 or -march=athlon to CFLAGS.  Those problems
> have been fixed with the latest GCC update in the source
> tree.

I just tried to buildworld with gcc-3.3.1_20030804 (the one in the tree
is from 20030711 I believe) installed as a package and while I did no
longer receive the dreaded ICE that I'm now so familiar with, I did get
the following error:

In file included from /usr/src/lib/libthr/thread/thr_private.h:61,
                 from /usr/src/lib/libthr/thread/thr_printf.c:41:
/usr/src/include/stdio.h:55: warning: redefinition of `va_list'
/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i386-portbld-freebsd5.1/3.3.1/include/stdarg.h:105: warning: `va_list' previously declared here
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/lib/libthr.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/lib.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.

I'm not sure how to fix that, but this snapshot seems to be working
better despite the fact that I still can't buildworld or kernel.

> > I was also wondering if there was a way to build the system with an
> > older compiler (like, say, 3.1)?  I had these same problems with 3.2.1
> > so I wondered if going back to an earlier version would eliminate the
> > issue.
>
> Going backwards with the compiler probably won't help.
> Have you tried installing 4.8 on this system.  I still
> suspect you have a hardware problem.

What would that hardware problem be?  This is what is driving me crazy.
I'm running around beating my head against the wall trying to figure out
what is wrong and no matter where I turn, I cannot get a definitive
answer nor can I even find out how I might come across a definitive
answer.  I have not tried installing 4.8 on this system.  The thought
had crossed my mind, but I wanted to stay with 5.x since I've been
running it since 5.0-RELEASE.  Besides, if I do have a hardware problem
what difference would installing 4.8 make?

-Scott