Re: Compiler Woes (was: Re: RAM Recommendations for a VIA Mainboard?)

From: Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:37:30 -0700
On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 01:21:39PM -0700, Scott Reese wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 18:48, Matthias Andree wrote:
> > Scott Reese <sreese_at_codysbooks.com> writes:
> >
> > > Though I'm not sure if RAM is my problem because I'm not getting Sig 11
> > > errors.  I keep getting extremely consistent internal compiler errors
> > > pretty much whenever I try to build *anything*.  I've tried to
> > > buildkernel about 16 times today and each time I get stuck here (or very
> > > near here):
> > >

> > An "internal compiler error" (ICE for short) can also be a compiler bug
> > if it happens in the same place consistently. I recall other "ICE"
> > Subject lines, but ignored the corresponding posts; the list archives
> > may help you.
>
> Heh.  Most of those messages were probably from me desperately seeking
> assistance of any kind (quick check confirms this).  :)

Most of those older posts were concerned with people who
added -march=p4 or -march=athlon to CFLAGS.  Those problems
have been fixed with the latest GCC update in the source
tree.

> I was also wondering if there was a way to build the system with an
> older compiler (like, say, 3.1)?  I had these same problems with 3.2.1
> so I wondered if going back to an earlier version would eliminate the
> issue.

Going backwards with the compiler probably won't help.
Have you tried installing 4.8 on this system.  I still
suspect you have a hardware problem.

--
Steve