Compiler Woes (was: Re: RAM Recommendations for a VIA Mainboard?)

From: Scott Reese <sreese_at_codysbooks.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 13:21:39 -0700
On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 18:48, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Scott Reese <sreese_at_codysbooks.com> writes:
>
> > Though I'm not sure if RAM is my problem because I'm not getting Sig 11
> > errors.  I keep getting extremely consistent internal compiler errors
> > pretty much whenever I try to build *anything*.  I've tried to
> > buildkernel about 16 times today and each time I get stuck here (or very
> > near here):
> >
> > /usr/src/sys/dev/aic7xxx/aic79xx.c: In function `ahd_run_data_fifo':
> > /usr/src/sys/dev/aic7xxx/aic79xx.c:787: error: unrecognizable insn:
>
> [...]
>
> > /usr/src/sys/dev/aic7xxx/aic79xx.c:787: internal compiler error: in
> > reload_cse_simplify_operands, at reload1.c:8345
>
> An "internal compiler error" (ICE for short) can also be a compiler bug
> if it happens in the same place consistently. I recall other "ICE"
> Subject lines, but ignored the corresponding posts; the list archives
> may help you.

Heh.  Most of those messages were probably from me desperately seeking
assistance of any kind (quick check confirms this).  :)

> If you need to be sure what it is, rsync your source code and compiler
> to a different computer with similar OS and hardware and try there. If
> it fails in the same place, it's VERY unlikely to be the RAM.

I do not have another machine I can use to test on, unfortunately.  Upon
attempting to buildkernel a couple more times today, I get the exact
same ICE in the exact same place on the exact same snippet of code.  I'm
starting to lean towards a compiler bug or a bug in the FreeBSD
implementation of gcc.

> If you've been running cvsup -s for a while, trying to run it once
> without -s might be useful in case some alteration went unnoticed by
> cvsup (haven't seen that so far, and it's an old recommendation, not
> sure if it still holds).

I haven't been running cvsup -s.  I just run the command line 'cvsup -g
-L 2 source' (source being the name of my sup file).  I'm currently
installing the gcc33 package to see if this alleviates any of my
difficulties.

I was also wondering if there was a way to build the system with an
older compiler (like, say, 3.1)?  I had these same problems with 3.2.1
so I wondered if going back to an earlier version would eliminate the
issue.

Thanks,
Scott