Re: -current brake ufs for -stable

From: Bruce Evans <bde_at_zeta.org.au>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:45:18 +1000 (EST)
On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, Doug White wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, Sergey Matveychuk wrote:
> >
> > > I've installed both -current and -stable on my box. One of partition I
> > > plan to share betwen them (place ports/distfiles there).
> > > I newfs'ed it from -stable and wrote on it from -current. When I booted
> > > with -stable I've found the partition FS was broken.
> > > I think it's because of extended atributes -current wrote on it. I don't
> > > like to turn off extended attributes on -current at all. I'd like to
> > > have some option for mount to disable it (I've not found it on manpage).

-current doesn't write extended attributes unless you enabled them.

Most likely the problem is some breakage of compatibility of superblocks.
When I tried sharing a filesystem between RELENG_3 and -current a few
months ago, IIRC the obvious bugs were that RELENG_3 crashed on filesystems
written to be -current, and running RELENG_3's fdisk fixed the problem
but was not run automatically and it reported an alarming number of errors.
It should be run automatically, e.g., by using a different dirty flag for
each variant -- set all dirty flags on write and only clear the dirty flag
for the current variant on unmount.

> > If you newfs'd the partition with -current, you made it UFS2.  -stable
> > can't mount UFS2 partitions.  Newfs it with -stable (or the appropirate
> > option on -current, I don't recall it) so its mountable on both systems.
>
> Actually, he did state that "I newfs'ed it from -stable and wrote on it
> from -current" ...

Anyway, -current doesn't imply UFS2.  UFS2 is just the default.  I only
use it for running benchmarks to determine whether I should use it yet.

Bruce