OT: Success Story

From: Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj_at_peak.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 14:58:18 -0700
I thought I'd relate this success story to all of you -current people.

We are the webhost for talklikeapirate.com -- the official site for
"International Talk Like a Pirate Day" that happened this past friday.
This is about as big an event that the small regional ISP I work for
has ever seen.  I have been working on designs for our new web servers
all summer, using FreeBSD 5.1R as our OS.  When it became apparent to
us that the Linux based server the website was on was not going to
handle the load gracefully, we switched our operations to our untested
FreeBSD cluster.  The new cluster shined, and sustained the traffic,
which reached 2000 simultaneous connections, without a hiccup.  We have
a lot of linux zealots in our organization, and FreeBSD was a hard sell
for me initially.  This event has validated my choice to others in the
organization.

The point of all of this is that I wanted to thank all of the folks
that work so hard on FreeBSD.  The product is excellent, and the
interactions I've had with everyone involved with the project has been
stellar.  The nature of the job is that it's pretty thankless, and I
think you guys could use an "attaboy" every once in a while.  I could
not be successful without all of your hard work and contributions.
Thanks again!

--
Jeremy C. McDermond
   mcdermj_at_peak.org