Re: SATA drive lock-up

From: Derek Ragona <derek_at_computinginnovations.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 16:47:01 -0500
I don't want to get into some flame war here.  I am trying to provide what
information I can.  If Soren, or anyone else wants more debugging
information I will be happy to do what I can to provide that
information.  I simply need them to tell me what and how to capture the
information.  As the system locks up, there is little ability at present to
get any information beyond what is on the console.

I offered some additional information as Soren had suggested I was having a
hardware problem, which I am not.  Again this is all new hardware, all
shows no issues with  diagnostic tests.

As the Adaptec board I am using is based on Sil3112A controller, and I have
heard from another user experiencing the same issue, I am simply trying to
keep the information on this issue up to date.

A couple weeks ago the OS wouldn't even load, a week later it does
load.  So while not all "fixes" are well publicized, I know there are
ongoing code changes that do effect the disk subsystems.

Yes FreeBSD is free.  I'm not whining that it doesn't work on this drive
and controller.  Rather I am trying to report an issue, and follow-up on
that issue, as this is new hardware.

I have been using FreeBSD since 2.X.  In my experience over the years and
releases, problems do not get fixed if no one knows they exist.  With 4.9
and 5.2 on the horizon, and more SATA drives and cards getting used it is
reasonable to expect more users having problems with a Sil3112A based
controller.

         -Derek