Re: HEADSUP: PFIL_HOOKS/ipfilter changes

From: Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock_at_gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 06:42:47 +0200
Sam Leffler wrote:

> It was not "due for 5.0" or any subsequent release.  It was requested by
> certain developers and I requested that they demonstrate that adding it to
> the GENERIC system would not noticeably impact non-PFIL_HOOKS users.
>
> I intend to convert certain network subsystems to use PFIL_HOOKS instead of
> their (current) adhoc techniques.  This will mean that PFIL_HOOKS will be a
> necessary part of the system and so will be in the GENERIC kernel.

PFIL_HOOKS has been necessary in order to use the ipfilter kernel module,
since 5.0-R and before, IIRC. The fact that a kernel customization and
recompile was needed because of the missing PFIL_HOOKS in GENERIC for two
releases in a row is a bug, and it ought to be fixed.

(On a related note, the ipfilter kernel module itself is still built without
IPV6 support - is there a particular reason for this?)

--
    ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi_at_freebsd.org