Re: dhclient/ipfw conflict on boot

From: David Wolfskill <david_at_catwhisker.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 05:51:56 -0700 (PDT)
>Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 00:58:12 -0500
>From: "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads_at_cox.net>
>To: freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
>Subject: dhclient/ipfw conflict on boot

>I just ran into this today after upgrading.  It seems that dhclient is
>unable to initialize properly at boot time, due to the prior initialization
>of ipfw2 (default to deny policy).  As all traffic is denied until my
>firewall ruleset gets loaded (not until just after dhclient fails), it's
>unable to communicate with my ISP's DHCP server.

>This should be a quick and easy fix, right?  :-)

Well, my approach to a "quick and easy fix" is "Don't do that."

For my laptop, I set up an ipfw specification that, on boot, only
permitted DHCP traffic.

Then in /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks, once I've got a lease, I invoke a
different script that flushes the old rules and creates a new set, based
on such things as my new IP address and the address of the DHCP server.

Also in /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks, if it's invoked when dhclient is
exiting (leaving the network), the script re-invokes the "default" ipfw
script.

Peace,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill				david_at_catwhisker.org
If you want true virus-protection for your PC, install a non-Microsoft OS