Where is my SLIP interface

From: Willem Jan Withagen <wjw_at_withagen.nl>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 03:04:52 +0200
Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade my firewall/router to 5.x but I'm getting caught by
the fact that I cannot find a 'sl0' interface.
I've tried the both with if_sl compiled into the kernel as well as a module.

In neither case does ifconfig show a sl0 device.

In the module-env kldstat does show if_sl.ko loaded, and unloading is
refused (as is clear from the code)
    Sep 25 02:32:32 router kernel: if_sl module unload - not possible for
this module

When it is compiled into the kernel, if_sl.ko does not want to register,
since it is already there.
    Sep 25 01:56:43 router kernel: module_register: module if_sl already
exists!
    Sep 25 01:56:43 router kernel: Module if_sl failed to register: 17

running ifconfig sl0 loads the module but still generates:
    router# ifconfig sl0
    ifconfig: interface sl0 does not exist

The other interfaces are correctly reported.

kernel config is attached, but what am I missing or how do I debug this??

Thanx,
--WjW

machine         i386
cpu             I586_CPU
cpu             I686_CPU
ident           "GTW.5"

#To statically compile in device wiring instead of /boot/device.hints
#hints          "GENERIC.hints"         #Default places to look for devices.

makeoptions     DEBUG=-g                #Build kernel with gdb(1) debug
symbols

options         SCHED_4BSD              #4BSD scheduler
options         INET                    #InterNETworking
options         INET6                   #IPv6 communications protocols
options         FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         SOFTUPDATES             #Enable FFS soft updates support
options         NFSCLIENT               #Network Filesystem Client
options         CD9660                  #ISO 9660 Filesystem
options         COMPAT_43               #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP
THIS!]
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD4         #Compatible with FreeBSD4

#options                IPFIREWALL
options         IPDIVERT

device          isa
device          pci

# Floppy drives
device          fdc

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device          ata
device          atadisk                 # ATA disk drives
device          atapicd                 # ATAPI CDROM drives
options         ATA_STATIC_ID           #Static device numbering

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
device          atkbdc          # AT keyboard controller
device          atkbd           # AT keyboard

device          vga             # VGA video card driver

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device          sc
device          sio

# Floating point support - do not disable.
device          npx

# Add suspend/resume support for the i8254.
device          pmtimer

# PCI Ethernet NICs.
device          de              # DEC/Intel DC21x4x (``Tulip'')

# PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code.
# NOTE: Be sure to keep the 'device miibus' line in order to use these NICs!
device          miibus          # MII bus support
device          dc              # DEC/Intel 21143 and various workalikes
device          fxp             # Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B (82557, 82558)
device          rl              # RealTek 8129/8139

# ISA Ethernet NICs.  pccard nics included.
# 'device ed' requires 'device miibus'
device          ed              # NE[12]000, SMC Ultra, 3c503, DS8390 cards
device          ep              # Etherlink III based cards

# Pseudo devices - the number indicates how many units to allocate.
device          random          # Entropy device
device          loop            # Network loopback
device          ether           # Ethernet support
#device         sl              # Kernel SLIP
#device         ppp             # Kernel PPP
device          tun             # Packet tunnel.
device          pty             # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
device          gif             # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
device          faith           # IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)

# The `bpf' device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
# Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!
device          bpf             # Berkeley packet filter

makeoptions     SC_DFLT_FONT=cp850
options         DDB
options         DDB_UNATTENDED
options         TCP_DROP_SYNFIN
options         IPR_VJ
options         MAXCONS=16              # number of virtual consoles
options         MSGBUF_SIZE=40960
options         PPC_PROBE_CHIPSET # Enable chipset specific detection
options         SC_DFLT_FONT            # Compile font in
options         INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE     # Include this file in kernel
options         IPSEC                   #IP security
options         IPSEC_DEBUG             #debug for IP security
options         IPSEC_ESP               #IP security (crypto; define w/
IPSEC)
options         SC_DFLT_FONT            # compile font in
options         SC_HISTORY_SIZE=2000    # number of history buffer lines
options         SC_KERNEL_CONS_ATTR="(FG_RED|BG_BLACK)"
options         SC_KERNEL_CONS_REV_ATTR="(FG_BLACK|BG_RED)"
options         SC_NORM_ATTR="(FG_GREEN|BG_BLACK)"
options         SC_NORM_REV_ATTR="(FG_YELLOW|BG_GREEN)"
options         SC_PIXEL_MODE           # add support for the raster text
mode
options         VESA
options         VGA_WIDTH90             # support 90 column modes