Re: Where is my SLIP interface

From: Willem Jan Withagen <wjw_at_withagen.nl>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:39:12 +0200
> On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 01:13, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> > > Perhaps 'The Complete FreeBSD' by Greg Lehey will help out.
> >
> > Not any more.  I removed that chapter from the book.  The chapter's
> > available (also covers UUCP) if anybody wants it; just ask.  But it
> > seems that Willem has already had SLIP up and running.

I've been running SLIP ever since I started an ISP back in 1994.
And I'm still using it next to my ADSL for certain traffic that I do not
want to flow over the the widder net.
The ADSL was BTW the reason for upgrading, 'cause that poor old 386sx/16Mb
could not keep up with 8 Mbit/s ADSL :-)

I was also that guy that bought like 50 of 'The Complete FreeBSD' to give
them to customers who wanted to know more about that nice system with free
software that solved their problems.

But PPP has the same problem:
    the interfaces do not show up when listing them with 'ifconfig -a'
And trying to config it:

router# ifconfig sl0 1.2.3.4 4.5.6.7
ifconfig: interface sl0 does not exist
router# kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1    3 0xc0100000 3541c8   kernel
 2    1 0xc1232000 8000     ipfw.ko
 3    1 0xc151e000 5000     if_sl.ko

So we can conclude it is a pilot error, since hell would break loose when
ppp0 had disapeared.
But I have this problem on 3 5.x boxes.

--WjW