Re: Realtek 8139 + Acer Laptop

From: Bill Paul <wpaul_at_FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 16:12:15 -0700 (PDT)
> Dmesg say nothing.
> According to WinXP system information, the card is "RealTek RTL 8139/810x
> Family Fast Ethernet NIC".
> at bus PCI 0 : 7 : 0.
>
> Maybe an IRQ conflict?
>
> I attach the dmesg & pciconf -lv output.

Unfortunately, what you did not do is show us the dmesg output from
NetBSD or OpenBSD so that we could see what happens when the chip
is probed correctly. Looking at the dmesg and pciconf output it
seems the device was not found at all. This means it's not a networking
problem at all, but a PCI problem.

The failure to detect the device could be due to any one of
the following:

- There's an option to disable the on-board NIC in the BIOS and
  you disabled it and forgot about it
- There's a bug in the PCI bridge code which is preventing it
  from enumerating all of the devices properly
- There's some magic you need to do to enable/power up the
  on-board NIC that we're not doing

This is something you should be asking the PCI gurus about,
not the networking gurus.

-Bill

-Bill Paul            (510) 749-2329 | Senior Engineer, Master of Unix-Fu
                 wpaul_at_windriver.com | Wind River Systems
      "If stupidity were a handicap, you'd have the best parking spot."