Re: Status of SCHED_ULE?

From: Matt <matt_at_xtaz.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 13:26:24 +0100
Morten Rodal wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 11:31:25PM -0400, Jeff Roberson wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, Morten Rodal wrote:
>>
>>>It has improved quite a bit lately, and is now also working with KSE.
>>>However, the mouse will get sluggish whenever the computer is under
>>>bursts of load (i.e. a compile)
>>>

>>I have not had this experience.  Can you give me details of your machine
>>and the kind of load that causes slugishness?  I'll correct it as soon as
>>I can identify it.
>>

> The machine is an dual Pentium 2 300MHz, and I'm running gnome 2.4.
> I do also experience this with my computer at school, a single Pentium3
> 733MHz.
>
> The load isn't very complicated, usually just gnome 2.4 and mozilla
> firebird running.  If I then do anything that requires lots of cpu,
> like a compile of a program, the interactivity drops fast.
>
> On the dual machine I have also experienced a *HUGE* increase in the
> time for "portupgrade -ar" to complete.  I am not familiar with how
> portupgrade works, but it seems to spawn a few make's and sort's, but
> I am not sure why it is currently using 3 hours instead of 10 minutes
> to complete! (This was tested when there was no packages to upgrade,
> which shouldn't take long)
>
> Both machines (this dual and the one at school) are running with a
> libmap.conf in order to use libkse, is this perhaps affecting the
> performance of ULE?
>
> I am not sure how useful this is to you, but if you have any other
> pointers as to what I should look at just ask.

Are you running 5.1-release or 5.1-current?

I ask because I have used ULE on two different kernels so far on this
box. One was 5.1-release running gnome2, mozilla, xmms. On this the
mouse stutters really badly whenever anything is being compiled.

However on the 5.1-current kernel this behavior no longer happens and
the mouse is fine.

I suspect ULE has had a few enhancements between the release and now.

Matt.