Re: 5.2-RELEASE TODO

From: Marcel Moolenaar <marcel_at_xcllnt.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 12:19:30 -0700
On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 08:07:32PM +0200, Wilko Bulte wrote:

> > You should probably remove Marcel from this item.  This task needs
> > another volunteer.
>
> Recently Marcel noted to me he was planning to engage on this one. I have
> offered him help for testing.

The deal is this (if you find your way between the parenthesis):

I talked to Wilko prior to the DevSummit and told him that since it
was on my plate (because I stupidly made some commits to get things
rolling; which it did, but not much more than rolling on my plate :-)
and support is almost finished (I looked at it this weekend and it
appears that upcalls work, there's probably something wrong with the
context save/restore code) and I needed to fix ia64 as which (already
done) I likely would fix Alpha in one big swoop.

At the DevSummit we failed to reach agreement that alpha should be
dropped to a tier 2 platform, but we did acknowledge that alpha needs
developers pronto. There it was also agreed that I would enter a
holding pattern (which roughly boils down to me circling between home,
work and Starbucks) until either someone fixes KSE or my weakness
shows and I do it anyway (the fact that I looked at it this weekend
means that I was pretty close to folding -- I made it to Starbucks
just in time).

I also mentioned recently (in the last couple of days) that we should
worry more about sparc64 than alpha. Simply because I think alpha is
on it's way down and should already be a tier 2 platform and sparc64
is still on its way up ... sort of.

--
 Marcel Moolenaar	  USPA: A-39004		 marcel_at_xcllnt.net