Re: SiL3112 SATA (RAID) Controller drives aren't working at all.

From: Soren Schmidt <sos_at_spider.deepcore.dk>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 21:13:48 +0200 (CEST)
It seems Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:
> The drivers in 28.9.JPSNAP of current will allow you to install
> FreeBSD on a SATA disk connected to a Silicon Image 3112 SATA RAID
> controller but not much more. Shortly after booting, the system will
> start getting UDMA timeouts and basically just freezes. Furthermore,
> the disks connected to the controller will ALWAYS show up as
> individual disks in the setup, no matter if they are alone, in a
> stripe set or a real RAID 1 array.

First off, there is ONLY support for Promise and HPT "soft RAID"
in the ATA driver, other vendors products are *not* supported (yet).

Second, there seem to be a problem with some sil3112 setups where
timeouts and what not ruins the lunch, but so far I've not been
able to reproduce..

> Seeing that this probably belongs in Soren's domain, is there any
> possibility to add some function to atacontrol to allow rebuilding
> without having hotswap on HPT/Promise chipsets? (I know the Windows
> drivers of both can do so, so imagine the feature has to be
> somewhere).

On -current 'man atacontrol'

-Søren