Re: SiL3112 SATA (RAID) Controller drives aren't working at all.

From: Will Andrews <will_at_csociety.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 12:38:08 -0700
On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 09:13:48PM +0200, Soren Schmidt wrote:
> First off, there is ONLY support for Promise and HPT "soft RAID"
> in the ATA driver, other vendors products are *not* supported (yet).
>
> Second, there seem to be a problem with some sil3112 setups where
> timeouts and what not ruins the lunch, but so far I've not been
> able to reproduce..

I am still unable to use my SATA drive, it's probed incorrectly
as I posted earlier.  Reverting to the August 10th 00:00 UTC
kernel fixes this problem, so I concluded that ATAng broke this.

If it makes any difference, my model is a SiI3112 RAID
controller, but I only have one drive and it probes as ad4... the
situation doesn't improve any if I add "ataraid".  But maybe
ATAng doesn't take into account the difference between a "normal"
and a "RAID" SiI 3112, if any?

Here are my dmesg's again (Sep 18th, Aug 10th kernels):
http://csociety.org/~will/dmesg.badATAng
http://csociety.org/~will/dmesg.Aug10.preATAng

The problem shown in the first dmesg still showed itself when I
tried a new kernel on Sep 25th.

Regards,
--
wca