Re: Bluetooth patch

From: John Hay <jhay_at_icomtek.csir.co.za>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 22:51:56 +0200

> > > I have prepared Bluetooth mega patch for FreeBSD source tree. This patch
> > > updates FreeBSD sources to the most recent snapshot.
>
> [...]
>
> > > The patch could be downloaded from
> > >
> > > http://www.geocities.com/m_evmenkin/patch/bluetooth20030914.diff.gz
> >
> > I had a look at the patch and here is my comments. I haven't tried it
> > yet, but I did try your latest snapshot.
>
> good, did it (snapshot) work for you?

Yes, I got a bluetooth ppp session going between 2 FreeBSD boxes with
usb-bluetooth devices.

> > I haven't looked at the man
> > page markup, someone more knowledgable can do that, or it can be
> > committed and then Ruslan can have a look at it when he gets time.
>
> i tried to follow original man page style. it is possible that i missed
> few minor things, but in general i think it should be fine. my plan was
> to double check everything after commit and deal with the issues.

That is ok.

> > There are lots of $FreeBSD$ changes. In a lot of the files that is the only
> > change.
>
> i see, is that a problem? i can clean up the patch and remove these entries.
> (frankly i thought CVS should take care of it).

I don't think it will break cvs, it might just cause some extra bloat.
Maybe just get rid of those parts of the patch where the only change
to the file is the $FreeBSD$ line?

> > The additions in lib/Makefile, share/man/man5/Makefile should be sorted
> > alphabetically.
>
> sure, i assume i should sort entries in lib/Makefile for
> .if ${MACHINE_ARCH} == "i386" section right?

Yes, that too, but inside such a block it should be alphabetical. SUBDIR
should also be alphabetical except for those mentioned in the comments at
the top of src/lib/Makefile.

> > I think libbluetooth and libsdp should be added to share/mk/bsd.libnames.mk
> > and then the Makefiles should be modified to use ${LIBBLUETOOTH} and
> > ${LIBSDP}
> > on the DPADD lines. /usr/lib/libbluetooth.a should not be hardcoded
> > otherwise
> > buildworld won't work correctly.
>
> ok, i missed that one :) thanks!
>
> > The + after DPADD and LDADD should be removed. It should only be used when
> > a Makefile have more than one DPADD or LDADD line
> >
> > There should not be '-L/usr/lib' on the LDADD line.
>
> got it.
>
> so, i hope those are minor things. can they be resolved right after commit
> is done? or i must fix them and submit revised patch?

I would prefer a patch with the makefile stuff fixed so that I can push
it through a make world and a make release before committing.

> > PS. Will Julian commit it when there was a review or are you looking
> > for a committer too?
>
> Julian and Ruslan are busy at the moment. M. Warner Losh has sent e-mail
> to core_at_ and asked for commit bit for me. in the mean time i'd like to
> commit this and resolve all issues in time for 5.2-RELEASE.

I can give it a go if no one else wants to do it.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay_at_icomtek.csir.co.za / jhay_at_FreeBSD.org