Re: Status of SCHED_ULE?

From: Munish Chopra <chopra_at_soulwax.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:59:43 -0400
On 2003-09-30 02:07 +0300, Aggelos Economopoulos wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 September 2003 01:12, Jeff Roberson wrote:
> > >
> > > [...]

I'm having the same experience, no gnome involved.

> > > I'm experiencing similar stuff with kde + libthr (kernel built with
> > > sources from 18/9).
> > >
> > > Aggelos
> >
> > Are you running seti, rc4, etc?  Any programs that sit in the background
> > and consume 100% of the cpu?
>
> No. But interactive performance deteriorates instantly when compiling or
> linking two or more programs (of course I expect it to deteriorate, but the
> gui is _much_ more jerky with SCHED_ULE than with SCHED_4BSD). Let me know if
> I can help with any more info.

I second that. I'm not running anything heavy, background or
not. Windowmaker, a few desktops, a bunch of aterms -- that's more or
less all. The most easily noticeable pessimization is probably Firebird
(or Mozilla if you prefer). Compile anything, and try opening or closing
a few tabs, or navigating. It's rather painful.

This is on a Thunderbird 1200 sporting 512MB RAM. It's not exactly fast
by today's standards, but operation is much smoother under SCHED_4BSD.

--
Munish Chopra