Re: is 5.1 now more stable than 4.9rc

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 10:29:30 -0700
> From: Eriq Lamar <eqe_at_cox.net>
> Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 11:52:05 -0400
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
>
> It just seems that there are alot of issues w/ 4.9, doesn't seem stable at
> all.

Yes, but there are a lot of issues in 5.1, too. And some are the same
ones. The ATAng issues are hitting both 4.9 and 5.1 about (but not
quite) the same way. The PAE issues seem to be resolved in 4.9 and
have long since been resolved in 5.1. The sudden reboot syndrome
(which is unusual but now does not seem to be rare) looks like a 4.9
issue, but it may be that just not enough people are running 5.1. At
least some folks are now managing to get some tracebacks and dumps.

5.1 has a lot of very different issues, but those running it have
learned to live with them and work around them.

CURRENT is getting pretty stable, but, by its nature, has times of
VERY unstable behavior. It's certainly not something to run on a
system that you want to be very stable.

At least that's my view of it. (I have been running current for about
a year, so I may be a bit inured to some of its issues.)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)