SiI3112 SATA controller problems - status

From: Soren Schmidt <sos_at_spider.deepcore.dk>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 22:06:40 +0200 (CEST)
I have now found a way to reproduce the DMA problems some setups seems
to be having with the SiI3112A SATA chip.

Now, if I use real SATA drives, (and I mean real SATA drives, the
WD Raptor fx is not a real SATA device but just a PATA device
with a build in PATA->SATA converter chip) it works just fine
no matter what I try.

If however I use an older PATA drive and a certain PATA->SATA "dongle"
(in this case 1 out of 4 samples) I can reproduce the problem pretty
easily.

This suggests to me that we are looking at a timing problem of sorts
the question is where.

I'll work on the problem as time permits...

-Søren