Re: Improvements to fsck performance in -current ...?

From: Marc G. Fournier <scrappy_at_hub.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:49:33 -0300 (ADT)
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> Current has two major changes re speeding up fsck.
>
> The most significant is the background operation of fsck on file system
> with soft updates enabled. Because of the way softupdates works, you are
> assured of metadata consistency on reboot, so the file systems can be
> mounted and used immediately with fsck started up in the background
> about a minute after the system comes up.

Actually, I had this blow up on my -CURRENT desktop once ... didn't have a
clue on how to debug it, so I switched from fsck -p to fsck -y to prevent
it from happening again :(

Now,I don't/wouldn't have softupdates enabled on / .. does the 'background
fsck' know to not background if softupdates are not enabled?  I'm going to
switch back to -p and look a bit closer the next time it happens (if it
happens) to see if it is/was a softupdate file system that failed, now
that I have a better idea of what I'm looking for ...

> I suspect that these enhancements may both require that soft updates be
> enabled for the file systems.

are either of these enhancements back-patchable to the 4.x fsck, or do
they require some non-4.x compatible changes to work? ... I'm at 3.5hrs
and counting right now ... any speedup would be great ...