Re: Improvements to fsck performance in -current ...?

From: Lukas Ertl <l.ertl_at_univie.ac.at>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 01:04:51 +0200 (CEST)
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Now,I don't/wouldn't have softupdates enabled on / .. does the 'background
> fsck' know to not background if softupdates are not enabled?

Yes, this is no problem, if the FS doesn't have SU, it just checks it the
"old" way.  Since / is usually rather small, this is acceptable.

> > I suspect that these enhancements may both require that soft updates be
> > enabled for the file systems.
>
> are either of these enhancements back-patchable to the 4.x fsck, or do
> they require some non-4.x compatible changes to work?

It's not just the fsck application itself, background fsck basically needs
file system snapshots, which are only available on UFS2, and I'm not sure
if they can be backported to UFS1 at all.

regards,
le

--
Lukas Ertl                             eMail: l.ertl_at_univie.ac.at
UNIX Systemadministrator               Tel.:  (+43 1) 4277-14073