Re: ICH5R SATA RAID?

From: Søren Schmidt <sos_at_DeepCore.dk>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 18:28:53 +0200
Doug Ambrisko wrote:
> Kenneth D. Merry writes:
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |

> | > The ICH stuff is not SCSI.  There was no mention of Adaptec in the
> | > manual for this motherboard.  There were other SuperMicro boards that
> | > had SCSI controllers on them but this one and the one I have do not.
> | > They just have SATA ports that can do RAID.
> |
> | True, it is SATA, not SCSI.  But the concept, and some of the software, is
> | the same.  It's pretty common in OEM deals for the actual vendor of the
> | software/hardware to remain unknown.  From what it looks like, the RAID
> | functionality is all in software, as opposed to running on a chip embedded
> | in the ICH5.
>
> I have working code to read the Intel ICH RAID meta data.  I can boot
> a FreeBSD root partition off a stripe.  I looked at your page and it was
> difficult to see the actual meta data definition.  I might have missed
> it since I was looking at the patch as a patch it didn't look the same at
> all.  Do you have a non-patch version of the meta data definition?
>
> Now I need to code up the "write out" of the configuration.  Currently I just
> use the configuration created by the BIOS.
>
> I should have this done today then I need to test failure modes.

Then you are about as far as I was when I got sidetracked back when :)
I have code to read adaptec / AMI / Intel meta data, but no writes yet,
so it has stranded there as I hoped that the right solution would show
up in GEOM somehow. However now that I'm close to having the Promise
SX4/4000 going I realize that a GEOM solution wont fly for me anyways so
things might get changed ....

--
-Søren