Re: nForce2 Soundstorm on 5.2.1 Release

From: jason <jason_at_ec.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 12:57:26 -0400
Casey wrote:

> Hello,
>
>    I have an Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard, which has a nVidia
> Soundstorm audio chipset on it.  However, I can't seem to get this
> chipset to detect in 5.2.1 Release, no matter what I try.  Being
> relatively new to FreeBsd, I don't really know that many ways to go
> about trying to get it to detect.  I was hoping someone out there
> might be able to tell me something to try, or at least confirm for me
> that this chipset doesn't currently have a driver that works, so I can
> stop banging my head against the wall.
>
> Also, on a completely unrelated note, how do you get the mouse scroll
> wheel to work?  I've got a Microsoft Optical mouse(PS/2) and while I
> can use the wheel as a middle button, the scroll function doesn't seem
> to help.
>
>    Thank you
>      Casey

You need the snd_ich.ko and snd_pcm.ko modules to load.  As root do
kldload snd_ich.ko, repeat till finished.  Use kldstat to see what is
loaded.  To have them autoload add these to /boot/loader.conf as
snd_ich.ko_load="YES" and snd_pcm.ko_load="YES".  I have the epox
8rda3i, it has hardware sournd but I am not sure if it is official
soundstorm or not.