Re: random(4) related panic: sleeping without a mutex

From: Simon L. Nielsen <simon_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 20:25:18 +0200
On 2004.04.12 10:35:37 +0100, Mark Murray wrote:
> "Simon L. Nielsen" writes:
> > > Could you please try the enclosed patch?
> >
> > It fixes the panic, but now it just hangs after init.
>
> Fix panic is good (fix committed).

Great, thanks!

> > Since it doesn't harvest I guess it's not that strange that it isn't
> > seeded, but since it worked before something must have changed.
>
> Yeah. Part of the startup does a "kickstart" of the device by writing
> garbage to it. I wonder why it didn't do that this time. Is your
> /etc/rc* completely up to date? What is in your rc.conf?

The problem is that I use initdiskless which is run as the very first
rc.d script, even before initrandom.  It has to run first since /etc is
replaced by that script.

As a workaround I added the hack from initrandom (ps -fauxww; sysctl...
>/dev/random and so on) and the system boots again.  So I'm not really
sure if this should be fixed in rc.d or in the kernel.

Is it intentional that random(4) isn't seeded by the kernel itself now?

--
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Documentation Team