Re: random(4) related panic: sleeping without a mutex

From: Mark Murray <mark_at_grondar.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 10:35:37 +0100
"Simon L. Nielsen" writes:
> > Could you please try the enclosed patch?
>
> It fixes the panic, but now it just hangs after init.

Fix panic is good (fix committed).
Hang is bad. :-(

> I tried to boot both my working kernel (Apr 4) and the new one in single
> user mode.  The sysctl output for kern.random looks interesting since
> the old one was seeded, and the new one isn't:

You aren't harvesting any entropy; any reason for that?

> kern.random.sys.harvest.ethernet: 0
> kern.random.sys.harvest.point_to_point: 0
> kern.random.sys.harvest.interrupt: 0
> kern.random.sys.harvest.swi: 0

> Since it doesn't harvest I guess it's not that strange that it isn't
> seeded, but since it worked before something must have changed.

Yeah. Part of the startup does a "kickstart" of the device by writing
garbage to it. I wonder why it didn't do that this time. Is your
/etc/rc* completely up to date? What is in your rc.conf?

Mark Murray
iumop ap!sdn w,I idlaH