Re: VIA 8235 UDMA ICRC errors

From: Yura Socolov <fbsd-current.z.yurasocolov_at_xoxy.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 21:43:08 -0500
On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 09:03:15AM +0200, Martin Hudec wrote:
> 	I did see the same error, but it was caused by bad ide controller on
> mainboard. Check cable connections, replace the cables, download and use
> vendor's diagnostic utility.

I've tried replacing pretty much everything, including power supplies, drives
and motherboards. And even versions of FreeBSD. If it has a 8235, it doesn't
work, period.

After talking off-line with Doug White, though, i am under impression that it
has something to do with the size of the drive as well. He says his kt400/8235
works fine with an 80G drive. All my test drives have been 160G, and i don't
have a smaller drive that could do UDMA100. All of them failed on my kt400/8235.

I solved it for myself by getting a KT600/8237 motherboard (DFI), and i still
think something is very fishy about 8235. Unfortunately, though, i don't have
resources to verify that or troubleshoot it further. I spent a week on this
already.

Thank you for your advice, and the same goes to Doug White. Appreciate your help
very much.

-- Yura Socolov <nospam>                   FP: A7192ABD96E15F5 19AB21E60C34109
--                                               http://users.binary.net/yura/
--
-- Opinions and views in this message are my own and my own only.