Re: VIA 8235 UDMA ICRC errors

From: Søren Schmidt <sos_at_DeepCore.dk>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 14:58:58 +0200
Yura Socolov wrote:
> I've tried replacing pretty much everything, including power supplies, drives
> and motherboards. And even versions of FreeBSD. If it has a 8235, it doesn't
> work, period.
>
> After talking off-line with Doug White, though, i am under impression that it
> has something to do with the size of the drive as well. He says his kt400/8235
> works fine with an 80G drive. All my test drives have been 160G, and i don't
> have a smaller drive that could do UDMA100. All of them failed on my kt400/8235.
>
> I solved it for myself by getting a KT600/8237 motherboard (DFI), and i still
> think something is very fishy about 8235. Unfortunately, though, i don't have
> resources to verify that or troubleshoot it further. I spent a week on this
> already.

Hmm, it could be that there are problems with the 8235 and 48bit mode
needed for >137G drives.
However, I dont have a 8235 in my ATA HW collection so I have no way of
reproducing/testing/fixing this problem if thats the case.
On top of that VIA is not very cooperative so getting docs that could
help here is not very likely..

--
-Søren