Re: bin/41071: make NO to NO_ transition patch

From: John Baldwin <john_at_baldwin.cx>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 11:35:37 -0400
On Saturday 17 April 2004 09:16 am, Ceri Davies wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 17, 2004 at 10:19:58AM +1000, Bruce Evans wrote:
> > On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Cyrille Lefevre wrote:
> > > the purpose of the original thread was to convert "all" variables to
> > > one form or another, not just some of them for some or other reason. in
> > > one word... be consistant, it's help.
> > > it's not my fault if only some "no conforming" variables regarding all
> > > others are used in so many makefiles.
> >
> > For a more modest task, try fixing the English spelling of "nothing"
> > to "no thing" and "consistent" to "consistant".
>
> There's noway that could be considered the same thing.
>
> (Disclaimer: I really don't care which way this falls out).

FWIW, nothing and nobody are special cases much like cannot and are certainly
the exception, not the rule.  Phrases such as 'no one', 'no cars', 'no code',
'no libraries', 'no binaries', 'no comments', 'no bikesheds', 'no spam', 'no
pets', etc. abound and all have 'no' as a separate word rather than as a
compound word.

--
John Baldwin <john_at_baldwin.cx>  <><  http://www.baldwin.cx/~john/