Re: A way to recover deleted files (just contents) from USF2

From: Xin LI <delphij_at_frontfree.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 20:14:23 +0800
On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 12:26:32PM +0200, Oliver Brandmueller wrote:
> This is a FAQ. Und the frequent answer is:
>
> You can easily recover valuable data after accsional deletion from your
> backup. If you don't have a backup, then your data don't seem to be woth
> having them backed up.

Some Unix coursebooks even comment the result of accidentialy removal of
a file without backing up as "User should take this as a lesson".

Seriously speaking, backups are essential for everybody who is working on
important data, not only before you are going to run "rm" on your system,
but also any daily work because your work is much more valuable than
disks, CD-Rs which are becoming cheaper and cheaper nowadays.

On FreeBSD 5.x, besides backups you can also use a new feature of the
UFS/UFS2 filesystems called "snapshots", if you have SoftUpdates enabled
on it and your power supply is dependable (for performance considerations,
snapshots' consistency is not guaranteed across crashes/power failures if
you don't explicitly tweak the snapshot code). Snapshots brings some
supplemental features which can be utilized to aid backups (make hot-copys
of a frozen file system state without having to stop your applications),
and we can even retrieve certain files' states at the point a snapshot
of the file system has been taken (even the file itself is subsequently
removed)

--
Xin LI <delphij frontfree net>	http://www.delphij.net/
See complete headers for GPG key and other information.