Re: A way to recover deleted files (just contents) from USF2

From: Steve Ames <steve_at_energistic.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 07:50:25 -0500
On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 08:14:23PM +0800, Xin LI wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 12:26:32PM +0200, Oliver Brandmueller wrote:
> > This is a FAQ. Und the frequent answer is:
> >
> > You can easily recover valuable data after accsional deletion from your
> > backup. If you don't have a backup, then your data don't seem to be woth
> > having them backed up.
>
> Some Unix coursebooks even comment the result of accidentialy removal of
> a file without backing up as "User should take this as a lesson".

That's kinda silly. Unless files are backed up at every edit then most of
us only have periodic filesystem backups. Lets say I just download a 150M
file and then accidentally delete it. Rather than wasting time and bandwidth
downloading again it'd be simpler to just 'unrm' it. Odds are that diskspace
and even inode haven't been recycled yet.

Mind you such an option takes some of the breathtaking fun of working
without a net away from your shell session but hey... sometimes you
actually do need the airbag.

We all know we need backups. We've all had that one time when we goofed
and didn't have the backup. This guy was just wondering if there was a
tool available (for ufs2) that would save him some time. A lesson in
good backup practices might be useful for next time but doesn't really
help him now.

(BTW: I have no good answer for recovering the file :)

-Steve