Re: A way to recover deleted files (just contents) from USF2

From: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles_at_skynet.be>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 15:05:52 +0200
At 7:50 AM -0500 2004/04/20, Steve Ames wrote:

>  That's kinda silly. Unless files are backed up at every edit then most of
>  us only have periodic filesystem backups. Lets say I just download a 150M
>  file and then accidentally delete it. Rather than wasting time and bandwidth
>  downloading again it'd be simpler to just 'unrm' it. Odds are that diskspace
>  and even inode haven't been recycled yet.

	Well, if you can't get ffsrecov to work, there's always Wietse
Venema's "The Coroner's Toolkit", which includes "unrm" and "lazarus"
tools.  See <http://www.porcupine.org/forensics/tct.html>.

	Of course, these kinds of things are never guaranteed to work,
and if you have to install them on top of the filesystem you're
trying to recover then odds are you're wiping out the very inodes you
want to try to save.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles_at_skynet.be>