Re: A way to recover deleted files (just contents) from USF2

From: Xin LI <delphij_at_frontfree.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:09:16 +0800
On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 03:08:03PM +0200, Daniel Lang wrote:
[...]
> simple solution:
>
> alias rm="rm -i"
[...]

If memory serves me right, a distribution of Linux does this aliasing
for root by default. Personally I prefer FreeBSD's approach beacuse,
when doing this type of things, we are potentially breaking semantics
of the original utility and hence may make errors on ther systems.

A possible solution might be have a cron script that periodically
takes snapshot of the file system (for example, one per one hour).
While snapshot alone could be considered to be a complete backup
solution, it is possible to save our time when recovering files
from earlier snapshots, and it will be even possible to retrieve
earlier versions of files. However, the overhead when taking the
snapshots is not so neglectable (for a large file system, it will
take several seconds for a snapshot to be taken).

This approach is more similiar with Windows's recycle bin approach,
but does not help in the download-and-rm case if there's no snapshot
taken between download and rm.

--
Xin LI <delphij frontfree net>	http://www.delphij.net/
See complete headers for GPG key and other information.