Re: newfs_msdos behaviour change between 4.x and 5?

From: Geoff Buckingham <geoffb_at_chuggalug.clues.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 15:10:07 +0000
On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 02:58:02PM +1000, Bruce Evans wrote:

> newfs_msdos under -current, you must now specify the correct -h, -u
> and -o parameters on the command line.

Thanks, the works fine, allthough anoyingly I now realise my original scripting
written early on in the 4.x life cycle had -h -u -o parameters, but i dropped
them when i realised newfs_msdos worked them out for me and using the wrong
values breaks things when you switch between devices with 32/63 sectors per
track (Compaq/HP raid arrays/ nearley everything else)

Zero seems a very poor choice of default value for the badly miss-named
hidden sectors field, it is never going to be correct for any hd/flash media.
Short of doing the correct thing, taking the value of sectors per track should
at least work for the first  partition on the disk (assuming the partition is
in the correct place :-)