Re: A way to recover deleted files (just contents) from USF2

From: Brian F. Feldman <green_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:08:58 -0400
Kris Kennaway <kris_at_obsecurity.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 07:47:17PM +0100, Bruce M Simpson wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 11:57:37AM -0400, Brian F. Feldman wrote:
> > > That sounds like a cool idea.  Maybe you could write a small program to do
> > > that and an rc.d script for it?  Simplest operation would be something like:
> > [snip]
> >
> > I second that this also sounds like a cool idea, albeit limited on a
> > per-filesystem basis. Snapshotting all filesystems would obviously be
> > a bad idea.
>
> I tried this once but ran into deadlocks with the snap code.  These
> might have since been fixed.  Also, creating the snapshot was
> sometimes taking an exceedingly long time, which is bad since it locks
> out all filesystem write access while the operation is in progress.

Until just a few minutes ago I thought snapshots were perfectly stable :-/
I have never had problems with bgfsck or dump -L but I managed to get:
panic("initiate_write_inodeblock_ufs2: already started");
while doing a "make kernel" with bgfsck going on.  The coredump lunched so
I don't have more info than that.

  <> green_at_FreeBSD.org                               \  The Power to Serve! \