Re: Dummynet low bandwidth simulation

From: Ivan Voras <ivoras_at_fer.hr>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:04:50 +0200
Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> considering your msg about rst etc -- there are a number of potential
> failure modes including the most likely one below:
>
>  + because of the extra delay, the initial syn handshake takes too
>    long to complete causing way too many entries in the listen queue,
>    so this saturates the server side.

I dont' understand this - the messages ("limiting RST response freq.") are
not showing on the server side (where the web server is), but on the client.

(Apache's default backlog is 511 and I raised kern.ipc.somaxconn to 1000 on
the server).

But I've discovered a possible cause: apache httpd processes have been
dyeing on the server, and occasionally I see: "collecting pv entries,
suggest increasing PMAP_SHPGPERPROC". What is that?

--
Every sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology
    - Arthur C Anticlarke