Re: More than 8 labels per slice

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon_at_apollo.backplane.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:00:48 -0700 (PDT)
:While cramming so many OSes on the same drive was the least expensive
:route, it does present some issues with regards to differing label
:formats.  I didn't fully expect it to be problem-free setting up a

    Heh.  Very cool setup.  Remember, however, that your different OS's
    are going to have different disk performance numbers simply due to
    where they are laid out on the disk.  Outer tracks on the disk have a
    much higher transfer rate then inner tracks.

:The other growing pain is that sysinstall doesn't yet support using
:logical partitions during setup though you can mount them manually
:in the fixit shell.
:
:Additionally, to the best of my knowledge it's not support/advisable
:to have any BSD disklabels in extended logical partitions.  Should
:this be supported in the future?  (Perhaps w/ GEOM)

    I'm guessing that it would be overkill to support a label inside an
    extended partition.  Convenient for a few configurations, but ignored
    by nearly all the rest of the userbase.  That said, extended partitions
    are not all that difficult to support.

:Am I going to be able to share a disklabel between DFBSD and FBSD?
:Since, basically you can setup DFBSD by copying from the CD, I was
:thinking of specifying /usr, /home as residing on logical partitions
:like Linux does, while keeping the root,tmp,var fs in the primary
:partition's disklabel.  /tmp can share w/ FBSD.

    No.  Well, it isn't advisable anyway.  They haven't diverged much yet
    but you can't count on the compatibility to remain forever.  I guess
    that really does mean you would want to put each OS in its own slice.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon_at_backplane.com>

:On this machine, I've already used all the primary partitions just
:supporting the three different disklabel formats of O/N/FBSD.
:--
: Allan Fields