Re: VESA DPMS Driver

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 11:58:12 -0700
> Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:50:16 +0930
> From: Benjamin Close <cisbjc_at_cs.unisa.edu.au>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
>
> Hi All,
>     I like many have suffered the battery drain of the laptop screen
> remaining on while the system is suspended. I've created a driver that
> allows the screen to be shutdown by DPMS provided acpi supports video
> mode changes. Beware, this is my first kernel driver so it's nothing
> great. Hopefully it will help someone with enough knowledge build a
> better driver.
>
> It's a loadable kernel module and the only tweak required to get it
> compiling should be in the Makefile.
>
> You can grab it from:
> http://www.clearchain.com/people/benjsc/download/vesa_dpms.tar.gz
> A URL as the list strips attachments.

YES! Thanks you!

My T30 now suspends and turns off the back-light! Oddly, using DPMS
under X with xset(1), the display blanked but the back-light stayed
on. This really turns off the whole display.

I believe that two of the remaining suspend/resume issues on my laptop
are actually PCI issues and the other is a complete mystery. (It will
only suspend once. Subsequent suspends work, but the system immediately
resumes.)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)