Re: Upgrading to net/openldap22-sasl-server giving fits

From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus_at_marcuscom.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 19:32:59 -0400
On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 15:50, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> On Thursday 29 July 2004 13:21, Doug White wrote:
>
> > It would not suprise me if you need to dump + reload your database to
> > update to a new bdb schema in openldap2.2.
>
> <whine>But I don't WANT to reload my database!</whine>

Yeah, I was in the same boat as you.  I wanted to do a binary data
upgrade.  According to the Sleepy Cat documentation, only the log file
format changed, so upgrades should have been easy.  It wasn't, however.

What I ended up doing on advice from eik was to slapcat my databases
with openldap21-server installed, then upgrade to 2.2, then slapadd the
dumped LDIF back.  Since I didn't have a large amount of data, this
worked quite well.

> Is there a generalized way to upgrade Berkeley databases?  I tried to
> RTFDocs, but they seem to be aimed at BDB programmers ("Simply call the
> DB->transmogrify method...") instead of command-line users.

I tried all of that, but everytime, I ended up with a corrupt
database...at least according to slapd.

Joe