Re: ATA driver races with interrupts

From: Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser_at_chello.cz>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 17:05:08 +0200
# sos_at_DeepCore.dk / 2004-08-03 13:35:07 +0200:
> Ville-Pertti Keinonen wrote:
> >S?ren Schmidt wrote:
> >
> >>Reliable solutions needs reliable HW, we can narrow down the race
> >>window here, but without HW support we cannot close it completely
> >>unless we serialises access to the channels (what lots of OS's does
> >>btw)..
> >
> >For now, I moved my SATA disks to the Promise controller, which seems to
> >work with an unpatched -current.
>
> Yeah, Promise makes HW thats designed to work ;)

    Do you think you could make a concise list of disk/controller makers
    who play nice (publish their specs), and/or produce hardware that
    tends to work well (or perhaps "didn't make writing support for
    major PITA")? Outright recommendations might cause trouble under US
    law FAIK, but buying hardware has always been sort of an adventure
    game.

    I've seen recommendations (in the form of code comments, commit
    messages, mailing list posts from relevant people, etc) against ASUS
    motherboards, VIA [almost-anything], Realtek network cards etc, and
    collecting relevant information is a time consuming task.

    If you can share your experience, I'll use that as a base for
    a FreeBSD-friendly Hardware Buyer's Guide, and maintain that.