HEADS UP: tar -l is now (intentionally) broken.

From: David Gilbert <dgilbert_at_dclg.ca>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 11:08:55 -0400

Tim> Since POSIX and GNU violently disagree about the meaning of "tar
Tim> -l", and there seem to be strong adherents to both
Tim> interpretations, I'm preparing to commit a patch that breaks "tar
Tim> -l" for everyone:

Tim> $ tar -cl foo Error: -l has different behaviors in different
Tim> tars.  For the GNU behavior, use --one-file-system instead.  For
Tim> the POSIX behavior, use --check-links instead.

Is this in any way related to the fact that /usr/bin/bsdtar seems
unable (after a new world from yesterday) to archive any files?

[2:1:301]dgilbert_at_canoe:~> bsdtar -cvf temp .bashrc
a .bashrc: tar format cannot archive this: Inappropriate file type or format

... is what I get.

Dave.

|David Gilbert, Independent Contractor.       | Two things can only be     |
|Mail:       dave_at_daveg.ca                    |  equal if and only if they |
|http://daveg.ca                              |   are precisely opposite.  |