Re: HEADS UP: tar -l is now (intentionally) broken.

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 14:44:37 -0400
At 9:56 PM -0700 8/3/04, Tim Kientzle wrote:
>David Gilbert wrote:
>>
>>[2:1:301]dgilbert_at_canoe:~> bsdtar -cvf temp .bashrc
>>a .bashrc: tar format cannot archive this: Inappropriate file type or format
>>

>Works here.  Which means either there's something
>weird going on at your end, or something weird going
>on at my end.
>
>It's possible you managed to get it in the middle
>of a cvs update, I suppose.  Try updating again
>and rebuilding src/lib/libarchive and src/usr.bin/tar
>and let me know if that changes anything.
>
>Out of curiosity, what does "ls -l .bashrc" show?

Other questions (which you may have already answered):

What does "ls -l temp" show?
If there is no "temp", then what result do you get
from the command to "touch temp"?

I'm just making some wild guesses here.  The above tar command
did also work for me, so I am just wondering if bsdtar is
getting some OTHER error, and reporting the wrong error.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad_at_freebsd.org