Re: Postgresql locks up server - no response at all

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 13:49:15 -0700
> Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 13:34:56 -0700
> From: Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd_at_jdc.parodius.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
>
> I've seen this with our SuperMicro SuperServer 5013C-T, running mysqld.
> Please note that the server is "heavily loaded" (note the quotes); usually
> a load of around 0.50 to 1.00 at all times, with mysqld being the top
> process.  Server runs all latest -CURRENT builds.
>
> Many people over in freebsd-threads mentioned this problem, and recommended
> all sorts-of different workarounds.  I tried every one available to me,
> except mucking with PREEMPTION (as I did not feel comfortable tinkering
> with a random .h file on the box; seemed to be a kernel-related thing,
> so I'd rather have just an "options" line for it -- I'm conditionally
> lazy).

Please note that PREEMPTION is now NOT enabled in CURRENT. scottl
changed that a day or two ago because of all of these lock-ups. He and
Julian are listed as working to isolate the problem. Scott believes it's
in the scheduler. It's not specific to either ULE or 4BSD.

So cvsup, rebuild the kernel and you should be fine.At least for a while.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)